What We Do
Employing more than 100,000 South Australians, our public sector is the largest employer in the State.
The South Australian Public Sector is the administrative arm of the Government of South Australia, accountable to the relevant ministers, the Premier, and Parliament. Agencies within our sector, variously called departments, commissions, authorities and services, are responsible for:
- advising the government of the day on policy matters
- implementing government decisions and parliamentary legislation
- delivering public services such as health care, education, policing, emergency services, natural resource management and public transport.
The Office of the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment (OCPSE) brings together a number of central functions including the statutory responsibilities of the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment, reform and renewal, leadership development, HR policy development and advice, workforce data analysis and strategy development, salary sacrifice, work, health, safety and workers compensation performance and policy.
The OCPSE is an attached office to the Department of Treasury and Finance. An attached office is an administrative unit with increased reporting responsibilities and has a Chief Executive appointed by the Premier in accordance with the Public Sector Act 2009. For the OCPSE, being an attached office strengthens its independence.
Agencies and employees provide many essential services to the community and we work with them to help them to deliver their best. We:
- encourage people and teams to continually improve
- encourage innovation
- embed the South Australian Code of Ethics and Public Sector Values
- develop employment determinations and guidelines , ethical codes and conduct standards
- develop and promote leadership programs
- provide advice on enterprise bargaining and industrial relations matters
- provide advice and develop policies on human resource issues
- collect and analyse information about the public sector workforce to guide planning
- develop health and safety strategies and provide injury management services
- administrate the IWORKFOR.SA.gov.au website
- administer and implement the Public Sector Act 2009 through the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment.
We work closely with government, non-government organisations, industry and the community to harness the full potential of the public sector workforce and consistently deliver excellence.
To find out more about why and how we do what we do you can read: