Office for the Public Sector


FAQs and useful links

Who do I contact if I have questions?

Generally, your first contact is your supervisor and then a manager or HR. Anything that they cannot help you with will be directed to the correct area, and depending on your query, the HR contact may speak with the Jobs4Youth team.

If you have an issue that you feel uncomfortable speaking to your supervisor or HR about you could approach your mentor or Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for your agency.

Why do I have to study?

You are undertaking study that has been designed to introduce you to working in the public sector and it’s a crucial part of your development.

When will I start training?

The training is conducted in groups so the training organisation will need to have a full group before they can schedule your first day.

Who pays for the travel costs for me to attend training?

The Office for the Public Sector will reimburse all reasonable travel, accommodation and meal costs in line with the Commissioner’s Determination 3.2 Employment Conditions – Remuneration – Allowances and Reimbursements.

This will be managed by your supervisor.

Who can I contact if I’m not getting the required training times?

Speak to your manager or HR and if the problem is not resolved contact the RTO and then Jobs4Youth  team.

What is the difference between my mentor and my supervisor?

Mentors are experienced employees from across State Government who provide you with guidance and support. This may include assistance to achieve goals you’ve set and to untangle the complexities and challenges you face as a public servant.

It is expected that you will attend 10 to 12 small group mentoring sessions over the course of your 12 month employment.

Supervisors hold a position of authority over trainees  that mentors do not have. This encourages the development of a trusting relationship and may allow you to be more honest about the issues that you are facing. Mentors can then offer advice to assist you to develop strategies to solve these issues.

What jobs can I do in the workplace?

You should receive a job description and access to information about the work associated with your classification. If you are asked to undertake higher duties you should speak to your supervisor and HR about the implications of this on your contract of employment and salary.

How do I get my certificate?

Your certificate is issued by your training organisation. Once you have completed your study you will receive, at minimum, a letter stating that you have completed your qualification. There will be a graduation ceremony to celebrate the conclusion of the program and some training organisations will choose to present your certificate at this time.

Can I apply for other jobs?

As an employee of State Government you have access to all internally and externally advertised positions via Jobs SA but we suggest speaking to your supervisor first about your situation and future.

The end date for my contract is coming up soon, what do I need to do

You should make sure that your training is up to date and that you will complete all assessments by  your contract end date. You should then speak to your supervisor and agency HR.


  • Take notes and ask questions
  • Make lists of what tasks you need to complete
  • Use your study group as a network not just for the assessments but also for the whole graduate experience
  • Make sure you have the correct contact details for your supervisor so you can advise them if you are running late or are unwell for work.
Back to top