New apprentices, trainees and graduates are provided support to assist them develop their skills and knowledge through the allocation of a mentor.
If you have any further queries regarding the Mentor Program, please email Office of the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment.
Who are we looking for?
- South Australian Public Sector employees who can support new trainees and graduate program participants by sharing their experiences as a former trainee or graduate.
- Any South Australian Public Sector employees who are passionate and willing to contribute to the development of young people entering into the public sector.
Benefits of being a mentor include:
- Recognition of your skills and experience
- Exposure to fresh perspective, ideas and approaches
- The opportunity to develop your coaching, leadership and professional conversation skills
- Ability to link learnings from being a mentor to your own professional and personal development goals
- The reward of having helped to shape and develop a young person’s professional career
- Inclusion of your mentor program participation in your professional development plan.
Role of the mentor is to:
- Develop an open and trusting relationship
- Support the mentee to develop their understanding of working in the public sector
- Exemplify the public sector values in practice
- Provide guidance and support through difficult situations
- Help develop professional capabilities and assist in career and personal goal setting.
What will I do as a mentor?
- Mentors will support a group of up to three trainees or graduates at a time
- A time commitment of approximately one hour per month is needed for mentors to meet with their mentees
- Mentors facilitate professional conversations during their meetings to develop their mentees understanding of the South Australian Public Sector
- Mentors provide support and assist their mentees to develop their own professional capabilities and professional goal setting
- Mentors attend an information session facilitated by the Office of the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment
Become a Mentor
How to become a mentor:
To register your interest in becoming a Mentor, please contact the Skilling SA Team at OCPSESkillingSA@sa.gov.au
You will be invited to attend a Mentor Introduction Session where you will learn more about the program.