Modern Manager Series
The Modern Manager Series offers workshops, seminars and forums to provide insights and techniques to assist managers, and those aspiring to a management role, to deal with the opportunities and challenges of change, keep updated on key government priorities and the future landscape of the Public Sector. Overseas, interstate and local presenters will deliver the series and expose those responsible for managing people to new ideas, knowledge and skills, tools and techniques that can be applied back in the workplace.
In response to the rapidly evolving situation surrounding COVID-19, we are deferring all South Australian Leadership Academy face-to-face programs and workshops indefinitely. We acknowledge that this is an unprecedented time for everyone and we appreciate your understanding.
We will update this page with tools, resources and a revised schedule once it has been established, and will be in contact with all currently enrolled participants directly when changes to program delivery occur.
South Australian Leadership Academy team
Performance Management Essentials
This workshop will prepare current and aspiring managers to lead high performing teams through effective performance management and development. Participants can expect to come away with the mindset and tools to undertake quality performance conversations, and to build on employee strengths for development and achievement of priorities.
- What is performance management and development, and why is it important?
- How is performance management applied within the South Australian Public Sector?
- Conversation fundamentals: focusing on employee strengths and operating with a growth mindset.
- Clarity of expectations: Aligning individual priorities with agency outcomes.
- Coaching and the feedback process.
This workshop will:
- Build your understanding of effective performance management and development in the public sector.
- Maximise your use of performance conversations as part of effective day-to-day leadership of teams.
- Provide you with an overview of growth mindset and strength-focused strategies to support growth and development in your team.
- Develop your ability to give and receive constructive, usable feedback to support open and productive relationships with your team.
Who should attend?
Public Sector managers looking to build their understanding of effectively managing and developing performance of their teams to achieve individual and shared goals. Participants will receive a workbook on the day to take home.
About your facilitator: Debra Sarre, Sarre ODL Director & Principal Consultant
Debra Sarre is a coach, facilitator and educator supporting the development of people in organisations. Drawing on 20 years of corporate experience, Debra specialises in building strong and positive leaders, teams and organisations. Her aim is to develop individuals and teams who draw on their own strengths to positively and collaboratively contribute to the goals of their organisation.
$195 + GST
To register your interest for future workshops please click here.
Coaching Skills for Managers
How do we have productive and inspiring conversations with our team members? How can we motivate our colleagues more?
This practical two-day workshop will prepare current and aspiring managers to use a coaching approach to support, challenge and motivate their team members. You can expect to learn two practical coaching models and apply a range of tools to create futures-focused conversations. This course aims to build confidence in coaching through tips, techniques and feedback on coaching sessions.
- What is coaching and how does it differ from mentoring, consulting and counselling?
- How can coaching be applied in the SA Public Sector?
- Qualities of a successful coach – dos and don’ts
- Contracting the conversation
- Presence in coaching
- Powerful questioning and listening
- Coaching and the feedback process
- Challenging assumptions
- Moving to action planning
This workshop will:
- Increase your understanding of coaching models and processes and how and when to use them in the public sector.
- Build confidence to adopt a coaching approach to conversations, particularly in problem solving and giving feedback.
- Provide you with strategies and techniques to use coaching to develop strong relationships and encourage an action-based approach to dealing with issues.
- Develop your ability to give constructive feedback.
Delivered by ICF accredited professional coach Amanda Moody.
Amanda is a Principal Leadership Consultant for the SA Leadership Academy, OCPSE. She is a fully qualified professional coach and has extensive experience working with a diverse range of people, including team leaders and executives in both government and the private sector in Australia and globally.
Amanda is accredited with the International Coaching Federation (ICF) and holds her ACC in professional coaching. She believes in listening for understanding, strong presence and curiosity to unlock the problems and support clients to generate solutions and move forward.
Who should attend?
Public Sector managers, team leaders and aspiring managers who want to build their skill, knowledge and confidence in coaching team members. Participants will receive a workbook on the day to take home. The session will be run over 2 days in 2 separate weeks. You will need to attend both Day 1 and Day 2 to complete the program.
$495 + GST
To register your interest in future Coaching program please click here.
Dare to Lead – A Brene Brown Program
How do we develop braver more daring leaders? How do you embed the value of courage in your culture to navigate change and drive performance results?
Based on the research of Dr Brené Brown, Dare to Lead™ is an empirically based courage-building program for Leaders and Change Agents. Brené is a research professor at the University of Houston where she holds the Huffington Foundation – Brené Brown Endowed Chair at The Graduate College of Social Work. She is the author of five #1 New York Times bestsellers including Dare to Lead, which also debuted at #1 on The Wall Street Journal and Publisher’s Weekly list.
Leadership courage is a collection of four learnt skills. In this two-day workshop you will learn how to build brave cultures and drive performance by:
- Navigating Vulnerability
- Leading with Values
- Building Trust
- Rising from Setback
Participants explore Dr Brené Brown’s research, complete a leadership assessment and learn how to connect, navigate difficult conversations and hold other’s accountable for success.
Delivered by certified Dare to Lead facilitator Angela Giacoumis.
Angela Giacoumis, Co-CEO of Emotous is a facilitator, coach and successful business leader and entrepreneur. She believes in unlocking the power of emotional intelligence to create brave leadership and positive change. Angela has extensive experience and expertise working with a wide range of clients from diverse backgrounds including executives, leaders and team.
Investment: $750 plus GST
Eligibility: Current and Aspiring Managers in the South Australian Public Sector
Please click here to register your interest for future session.
For more information, please contact the Leadership Academy Team via email OCPSELeadershipAcademy@sa.gov.au