Office for the Public Sector



A traineeship within the South Australian Public Sector allows you to learn in a supportive work environment. You’ll be paid to undertake a mixture of study and on-the-job training, culminating in a nationally-recognised vocational qualification. You will also be matched with a mentor.

A trainee’s qualification is decided by an agency based on workforce requirements and will be specified in each job advertisement.

Jobseekers interested in traineeship positions are encouraged to visit I WORK FOR SA, where you can browse current vacancies and/or register to receive job alerts as opportunities arise

Traineeship Eligibility

Eligible candidates for a public sector traineeship are:

  • Aged between 17 and 30
  • Aged between 17 and 35 and identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander or as having a declared disability
  • a South Australian resident
  • an Australian Citizen, or have an appropriate work visa

An eligible candidate for a traineeship must:

  • Be willing to complete a pre-employment declaration
  • Be willing to undertake a National Police Check or other appropriate background screening where required by an agency
  • Participate in assessment of verbal, numeric and abstract ability to demonstrate suitability for job
  • Undertake vocational qualification training requirements
  • Undertake training and professional development activities scheduled as per the contract of training and training plan
  • Meet all other employment and participation conditions of the program including travelling independently to and from the workplace, training sites and other sites as determined
  • Uphold the Public Sector Values and adhere to the Code of Ethics for the South Australian Public Sector.

Current South Australian Public Sector employees (and previous employees who have recently accepted a Targeted Voluntary Separation Package) are not eligible to apply.

Traineeship Qualifications

The full list of qualifications can be found on the Traineeship and Apprenticeship Pathways (TAP) Schedule found here. This list includes available qualifications under a Contract Of Training, nominal duration of the contact and length of the probation period. Eligible qualifications include Certificate III, Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma.

FAQs for Trainees

Who do I contact if I have questions?

Your first point of contact is your supervisor. If there are issues relating to your work site that cannot be resolved by talking to your supervisor, please contact the Office of the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment. If you don’t feel you can discuss your issue with any of the above listed people you can utilise the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which will be listed on your agency’s intranet.

What is the difference between my mentor and my supervisor?

Mentors are experienced employees from across the South Australian Government who provide you with guidance and support. This may include assistance to develop your skills in the workplace, develop your understanding of government and set and achieve professional and career goals. Your mentor is an added support person you have access to during your 12 month program.

Supervisors hold a different position. Supervisors delegate, monitor and support your development in the workplace. It is important to establish an open and trusting relationship with your supervisor, so you can develop your skills and address any challenges as they arise.

What is a Contract of Training?

A Contract of Training (COT) is the legal document that oversees your traineeship. A COT is an agreement signed by yourself, your employer and the training provider. An Apprenticeship Network Provider will meet with you and your supervisor to sign your contract of training.

Who pays for the travel costs for me to attend training?

All employees are responsible for their own travel costs to and from training, within the metropolitan area. If a trainee is required to travel from a regional centre to attend training, the trainee’s agency is responsible for providing transport and accommodation if required.

Back to top